Sunday, April 20, 2008

The first five days

Despite the nature of this posting's title, I shall not tell in detail each day's happenings but rather attempt to summarize.

Since I arrived on Tuesday night I have backed into a tree, spent a quarter of a tank of gasoline, missed at least six turns, swam in a Georgia lake, been introduced to treadmills with television, been bitten by fire ants, been hugged over fifty times by four incredible kids, played hacky sack, attended a Psalm-singing church, become a homeschooler in the administrative sense, slept in a four-poster every night, met two animals of the equine, four of the canine, and one of the feline varieties. I have felt like crying three times. I have laughed many times. I have made buscuits with baking soda instead of baking powder (don't try this at home). I have soaked up more sun than should be legal in April.

Calvin is eleven. He is strong willed and the leader of the pack. Although shorter than his younger sister and skinnier than his younger brother, he is extremely bright and active. At times he can be difficult--having a propensity to yell when angry, but his apologies are sincere and heart-felt.

Genna's full name is Margaret Geneva. She is a quiet, feminine, motherly nine-year-old. Life with three brothers is somewhat of a trial for her gentle nature. Genna is a talented violinist, but struggles with confidence in her abilities.

Alex is seven. He keeps up with Calvin very nicely. Quieter than his older brother, he has gifted me with a total of four wild flowers. Alex gives great hugs. He has a habit of interrupting in order to be heard above the general hubbub of life here.

Thomas is called the "snuggle-bug." His full name is Thomas Chalmers, and he has the most agreeable nature I have ever seen on a five-year-old. Tough as some kids three times his age, Tommy comes up from nearly every brotherly pummeling laughing and jumping in for more. He has a piece of hair at the top middle of his head that sticks up simply because he has a habit of pulling it.

All of the children assure me that I am the bestest nanny they have ever had and that they are very glad to have me. I think they're being kind considering my habit of scaring them to death every time we get in the car...

Needless to say, I love these kids.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Hey, it's your old choir buddy, Sara V, a fellow Nanny! Good luck, it's a difficult job, but the kids sound so fun!